Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Craigslist


After my divorce, I went through the process of trying to meet someone else. I wasn't looking for a serious long term relationship. I just wanted to meet someone, and hopefully date them without many strings, drama, issues or expectations. Just two adults getting together to have fun. Naturally, I turned to Craigslist to see if I could find someone to meet my needs.

First let's start off with numbers. Then I'll go into my experience using CL.
  • I sent out 175+ e-mails
  • I received ~50 actual e-mail responses
  • I created 11 posts on CL
  • I received 112 direct spam e-mails (actually quoting my response or post)
  • I received 100+ general spam e-mails
My Posts
As I said, I posted 11 different times on CL. Usually in m4w, sometimes in casual encounters. These posts ranged on a number of subjects, from something fun like "Let's explore the city like a tourist", to something to entice them "Help me go shopping!" to something simple like "Let's see X movie", to something totally random like "Let's participate in No Pants Day", to straightforward posts looking for a FWB or NSA relationship. Typically, my posts simply resulted in receiving a number of direct spam e-mails. It would be extremely rare for me to actually get a human response to my post.

My Responses
Like I mentioned, I sent out a lot of e-mails. Typically they were all custom written (no form e-mails), referencing something they had mentioned in their ad, and including a question to elicit a response. To be honest, this was all quite time and energy intensive. I've responded to w4m posts, casual encounter posts, random posts yelling "Why did I get flagged?!?!?", to a request for people to model for pictures while holding a book.

Actual Human Responses
I received about 50 actual responses from real people. The majority included a single response from them, followed by a response from me, and then complete silence. Other times, we'd actually trade a few e-mails and then I'd be informed that I was not what they were looking for. This was typically due to either my age, or due to my status as a divorcee. I did have a nice penpal who I traded a number of e-mails with, but never actually desired to meet me.

Spam
I am so incredibly glad that I had the foresight to create a new e-mail address to use for my activities on Craigslist. As I mentioned, I received a ton of spam from posting on CL, or responding to CL posts. It's interesting to actually see the direct spam, as they had actually quoted my original e-mail and tried to entice me to sign up for a website, give my credit card or something else. I also ended up on a number of general spam lists, getting random e-mails again trying to get me to visit a website, sign up, and/or give my credit card. One funny thing out of all of this, is that I still get "responses" from a post which I had made a few years ago now. Apparently, someone had added me to some mailing list, which still sends out these fake responses.

Out of all my time, energy and effort on Craigslist, I only met 2 people. One ended up being a dinner date with an older SSBBW, followed by going back to my place where I gave her so many orgasms that she was babbling by the time I stopped, and my bed was a wet mess of sheets. The other one ended up being my sugar baby for a couple of months which ended my stint on CL.

5 comments:

  1. CL can be a crazy place. Would you use it again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew people used craigslist for just hook ups, i thought it was all money exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CL used to be the place years ago where people could hook up, or find random dates or whatever. Then the spammers grabbed on and it's gone to crap since.

    You'll hear of the occasional success story for a guy, but the signal to noise ratio is quite low. If you're a girl, it's completely the other way around, with women getting completely flooded with responses.

    If I were to use CL ever again, I'd only post ads, with specific screening in my ad "Be sure to include '182079' in your subject", but wouldn't be very optimistic about the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK yeah i heard CL was a cool place once upon a time. So whats your current status?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love CL..its so easy to get lots of "Qualified Responses" but I am a chick you prob have it a lot harder.

    ReplyDelete